Re: Live migration of VM using librbd and OpenStack

On 03/12/2013 01:48 PM, Travis Rhoden wrote:
Hi Josh,

Thanks for the info.  So if I want to do live migration with VMs that were
launched with boot-from-volume, I'll need to use virsh to do the migration,
rather than Nova.  Okay, that should be doable.  As an aside, I will
probably want to look at the OpenStack DB and figure out how to tell it
that the VM has moved to a different host.  I'd rather there not be a
disconnect between Nova and libvirt about where the VM lives.  =)

It's probably not too hard to edit nova to skip the checks when the
instance is volume-backed, but if you don't want to do that, libvirt
should be fine, and a bit more flexible.

Additionally, thanks for saying that the migration is safe with the RBD
cache enabled.  I was going to ask that as well.

No problem, it's usually asked when talking about live
migration :).

Josh