Re: cluster-network documentation

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 10:15 AM, Gandalf Corvotempesta
<gandalf.corvotempesta@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2013/3/12 Wolfgang Hennerbichler <wolfgang.hennerbichler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've a question on cluster-network documented here:
>> http://ceph.com/docs/master/rados/configuration/network-config-ref/
>
> Is cluster network only needed by OSDs? MDSs and MONs should not have
> access to that network ?

The cluster network handles object replica traffic and recovery
traffic between OSDs, and heartbeat traffic between OSD. OSDs
communicate with monitors via the public network. Monitors and
metadata servers operate exclusively on the public network. The only
case where they'd need to be able to route to each other is if you
have some OSDs with only one NIC that can only operate on the public
network. I believe there is a note about it in the documentation.
Generally, it's a good idea to keep them separate if you can since
monitors and metadata servers don't use the cluster network.

John Wilkins
Senior Technical Writer
Intank
john.wilkins@xxxxxxxxxxx