Re: disk enclosure LEDs

On 2016-12-05T18:02:08, Allen Samuels <Allen.Samuels@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm indifferent to agent vs. agent-less.
>
> I *believe* that having a ceph-private distribution is easier/simpler/more reliable than trying to layer over some other system (ansible, salt, etc.) [i.e., I agree with John]. But this isn't a strongly held belief.
>
> I'm *metaphysically certain* that whatever distribution scheme is adopted that it not be optional. A large barrier to adoption of Ceph today is the lack of "middle-ware" that handles infrequent operational events (node addition/removal, media failure/recovery, migration, etc.). IMO, this middle-ware will have to be a standard part of Ceph, i.e., fully functional "out of the  box" without site-specific twiddling (though having a mechanism to insert site-specific stuff is fine with me, it just can't be *required*).
>
> In my mind, the distribution scheme is the next step in the evolution of Ceph-mgr. It's what's missing :)

I see the benefits of having a ceph-specific agent for hardware
interaction. However, that then shifts the problem for bootstrapping
said Ceph agent.

And when you open the can of worms that is server addition/removal, etc
we start hitting the question of either spinning up a distribution
mechanism as well.

When we want to look at container-izing Ceph in hyper-converged
environments, this gets even worse.

e.g., the cephalopod turns into a cephaloblob.  (Sorry. I'm terrible
with puns.)

I need a mechanism for interacting with enclosures (to stick with the
example), but I don't need it to be part of Ceph, since I need it for
other parts of my infrastructure too anyway.

If it's part of Ceph, I end up writing a special case for Ceph.

And I need a way to handle it when Ceph itself isn't around yet; how do
I blink an enclosure that receives a new disk? Ah, I pre-register a
given enclosure with Ceph, before an OSD is even created. I know Ceph
has many tentacles, but ... ;-)

Regards,
    Lars