Re: disk enclosure LEDs

On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 12:58 PM, Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2016-12-05T12:44:51, John Spray <jspray@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Question to the OpenAttic folks, who afaik are the only ones on the
>> thread actively building tools like this: if ceph-mgr modules could do
>> arbitrary command remote execution on OSD nodes, is that what you
>> would use for blinking LEDs?  How would you wire that up to the rest
>> of your stack?
>
> So, in "our" world, we have Salt minions for remote execution
> everywhere.
>
> If Ceph requires an additional remote execution channel, aren't we
> rebuilding work that's part of both Salt, Ansible, Puppet, ...?

Yes, although only a tiny part of what tools like ansible do -- and in
the process, we save the effort of integrating with all of the above.
IMHO it would actually be better value for money to write our own
agent than to maintain and test a pluggable infrastructure that could
use any of them (especially as some have different semantics), and
handle newer/older versions of them, etc.

John