Re: How will fragmentation help Red Hat

Kudos to everyone's input and lots of intelligent talking points!

After decades of working in enterprise, Fortune 100 or less, I always
struggled as the disruptor, as the open source evangelist, trying to
get decision makers to embrace open source solutions.

Years later, I see that commercial linux like RedHat & SuSE make a
critical mistake in packaging linux as a commodity with licensing and
subscriptions.

If you think about it, the most common argument against open source is
always support & expertise.  THAT IS WHERE THE MONEY IS.........

Selling licenses and subscriptions is par for the course for IBM
because they have doing that model for decades.  But, many enterprise
decision makers are STILL afraid of open source precisely due to
perceived expertise and support.

If RedHat gave away the OS and shared everything with the community and
then followed up with consulting engagements and the current support
engineering already in place, I think the customer base would start
growing immediately.

Open Source distributions are not designed to be licensed software in a
box like Windows.  Never the intention, ask Stallman if you know him.

The money is in support and consulting.  Teach the customer how to fish
and they feed themselves and the footprint keeps growing!