Re: How will fragmentation help Red Hat

Am 13.07.23 um 14:42 schrieb Tom Bishop:

I think I finally need to remove myself from the centos mail list but
coming from @redhat worker trying to explain what their company has
done, is pretty disingenuous to say the least. It's pretty clear what
they are trying to do and it's all driven by greed, have seen it over
and over in the opensource world, and lets be clear thats what it
always comes down to is greed. Bottom line its a d*ck move by Redhat,
but technically still meets the letter of the GPL so it is what it is.
IMHO they basically became another Oracle and we know how most feel
about them, but hey someone has this great idea to make more money
they have the right based on the GPL to do it..I moved a few servers
to Rocky when they killed Centos but this is it for me, I will migrate
my remaining servers over to anything but Redhat, they are dead to me.
I had been using Centos for many years, when Karanbir Singh was
running things and they would go to meet ups and you could get
t-shirts etc..Was a great run but Redhat has ruined all that and now I
just could care less what Redhat does from here on out. I'm nobody,
but where I do work we have options for which linux distro that we
want to run, I can assure you I will not be spinning up an Redhat
instances...fool me once, fool me twice...

Well, as RH's announcement is quite some day ago, I had time to reflect
this jumble. The whole thing is much more complex than people want to admit and I will not decompose this all here now. Honestly I see
the open source ecosystem like a hardware store. You have everything
that you need to build your own home, thats all. So, some entity is needed to build it - a worker, consultant, hobby crafts(wo)man, agency,
midsize firm, corporation et cetera, and that is the truth the we all
should face it. To make it clear, what product do you get when a loosy community build a distribution, with components of projects that are under financed? You need to put energy into something to keep it alive, this does not a happen magically. The how can be discussed. IMO, it should not be about the content (code, its already open) its should be about the structure ... something that balances the input with the output to stay sustainable. It should also be recognized that RH has contributed and continues to contribute much. I say this without any affiliation to RH - just have a large window of time available to oversee it all.

--
Leon