Re: How will fragmentation help Red Hat

On Thu, Jul 13, 2023 at 7:11 AM mario juliano grande-balletta
<mario.balletta@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> IMHO, there are insider politically correct opinions about the recent
> changes and then, there are the individual opinions of community
> members, end-users and the general public.
>
> IMHO, if you work for RedHat (IBM) your opinion could be slightly
> biased because of your career.
>
> But, the history of open source is full of examples of what happens
> when corporations try to create commodities from distributions backed
> by support contracts.
>
> IBM wants to make money, PERIOD.  They paid billions for RedHat and
> investors, executives, want ROI and profit, period.  No excuses.
>
> So, they are locking down RedHat and closing channels to important
> software/materials.  It is what companies do all the time.
>
> I predict a decline in sales, a decrease in subscriptions and a
> percentage of the community moving away from Fedora / CentOS.
>
> It's only logical reaction.
>
> Does IBM deserve to make a profit for buying RedHat?  Yes, indeed.
>
> However, this is not the best way, it is the same mentality of
> Microsoft, Oracle and others whose products are EASILY replaced and out
> performed by open source community software.
>
> IBM has had many successes over the years, many first innovations, but
> also a history of mistakes and flops too!  This is a flop.

I think I finally need to remove myself from the centos mail list but
coming from @redhat worker trying to explain what their company has
done, is pretty disingenuous to say the least. It's pretty clear what
they are trying to do and it's all driven by greed, have seen it over
and over in the opensource world, and lets be clear thats what it
always comes down to is greed. Bottom line its a d*ck move by Redhat,
but technically still meets the letter of the GPL so it is what it is.
IMHO they basically became another Oracle and we know how most feel
about them, but hey someone has this great idea to make more money
they have the right based on the GPL to do it..I moved a few servers
to Rocky when they killed Centos but this is it for me, I will migrate
my remaining servers over to anything but Redhat, they are dead to me.
I had been using Centos for many years, when Karanbir Singh was
running things and they would go to meet ups and you could get
t-shirts etc..Was a great run but Redhat has ruined all that and now I
just could care less what Redhat does from here on out. I'm nobody,
but where I do work we have options for which linux distro that we
want to run, I can assure you I will not be spinning up an Redhat
instances...fool me once, fool me twice...

Tom Bishop