Re: How will fragmentation help Red Hat

On Thu, Jul 13, 2023 at 8:11 AM mario juliano grande-balletta
<mario.balletta@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> IMHO, there are insider politically correct opinions about the recent
> changes and then, there are the individual opinions of community
> members, end-users and the general public.
>
> IMHO, if you work for RedHat (IBM) your opinion could be slightly
> biased because of your career.

I agree and acknowledge there is bias for employees.  Most of us try
very hard to be aware of it and think critically through it, but it
does exist.

> But, the history of open source is full of examples of what happens
> when corporations try to create commodities from distributions backed
> by support contracts.
>
> IBM wants to make money, PERIOD.  They paid billions for RedHat and
> investors, executives, want ROI and profit, period.  No excuses.
>
> So, they are locking down RedHat and closing channels to important
> software/materials.  It is what companies do all the time.

I will politely point out that your implication that IBM had direct
input into Red Hat's recent announcements is an assumption on your
part and not based on facts.

> I predict a decline in sales, a decrease in subscriptions and a
> percentage of the community moving away from Fedora / CentOS.
>
> It's only logical reaction.
>
> Does IBM deserve to make a profit for buying RedHat?  Yes, indeed.
>
> However, this is not the best way, it is the same mentality of
> Microsoft, Oracle and others whose products are EASILY replaced and out
> performed by open source community software.
>
> IBM has had many successes over the years, many first innovations, but
> also a history of mistakes and flops too!  This is a flop.

I'm failing to see how this email helps further the conversation that
Simon started in earnest.  I think Simon asks good questions and it's
worth a discussion.  If your suggestion is to not recommend Red Hat
distributions, what would you recommend instead and why?

josh