[Centos] Centos in the news

On Sun, 2005-03-27 at 09:47, Paul Heinlein wrote:

> > More fuel for the community support model, as opposed to the
> > official (paid) support channels.

> There are (at least) three different kinds of support involved:
> 1. troubleshooting after installation,
> 2. packaging and patching,
> 3. architecture building.
>
> By using CentOS we are largely relying on Red Hat's professionals for
> the bulk of the latter two support items.

In any discussion like this it is important to remember that
the *contents* of the packages are mostly handled by third
parties and available in other distributions, and the patching
is often best pushed back upstream to the program authors.
I don't mean to minimize the enormous amount of work that
RedHat provides, but the real value of the distribution
compared to others comes not so much from the small percentage
of content that they add but from the fact that the distribution
is well tested and it's particular quirks are well known - things
that increase with the user base.

I would guess that most people on this list understand the
nature of open source content and the distributed providers
but it might not be obvious to others.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx