[Centos] Sendmail vs. Postfix

Am Fr, den 25.03.2005 schrieb Barads um 12:45:

> >IMHO Mailscanner needs to split the queue. At least in part that wasn't
> >recommended with Postfix and there even was a serious warning to do so.
> >Did that change?

> I'm not sure if it's a requirement. I use sendmail with split queue and
> I cant see why thats a problem.  What was the serious warning ?

http://www.postfix.org/addon.html
-->
Virus/SPAM content filters
"mailscanner system, works with Postfix and other MTAs. This uses
unsupported methods to manipulate Postfix queue files, and there are
multiple reports of message duplication and/or delivery of truncated
messages."

> For me its all about how the product feels. Mailscanner feels
> professional, mimedefang doesnt. Simple. Again its just my opinion.

> Well, to get any sort of quarantining happening I had to hack some perl
> subroutines, this becomes and administrative nightmare with respect to
> upgrades etc. Again, I *dont* want to be a coder !

I see your point. Your opinion, as you repeat.

> I think you are missing my point. if the incoming mail passes, lets
> say,  'access' and 'user' tests then you're going to receive it , what
> good does it do rejecting it now if you have already wasted the time and
> bandwidth in receiving it ? If its spam, mark it as such and put it in
> the relevant folder or delete it. No need for a bounce, which in all
> reality is not likely to work anyways as most return addresses are false.

No, your point is simply wrong when speaking about bounce mails. The
sense of a rejection of an incoming mail during the DATA period is to
not accept it first and then to bounce. Of course that leads to hitting
innocent people where spammers did fake the sender address.

> See above, mailscanner is perl too and very fast. It is also multi
> process (like apache) not necessarily multi threadedso it can take
> advantage of multiple CPUS. From memory, mimedefang is single process
> and can only process one mail at a time although I could well be wrong.

Not correct what you say about MimeDefang. I think you didn't look too
deep into this application.

Well, your choice to use MailScanner. I don't want to make you switch.
Just wanted to argue against your comments and MimeDefang "bashing".

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.10-1.770_FC2smp
Serendipity 13:56:28 up 8 days, 11:52, load average: 0.32, 0.27, 0.20