[Centos] Sendmail vs. Postfix

Les Mikesell wrote:

>On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 23:19, Barads wrote:
>

>>>Big plus for sendmail is being able to run MimeDefang:
>>>http://www.roaringpenguin.com/penguin/open_source_mimedefang.php
>>>which will split out attachments and run your choice of spam
>>>and virus scanners and do a lot of other stuff while connected
>>>to the sendmail milter interface so you can still reject or
>>>tmp_fail at the smtp level.
>>>

>>mailscanner is*/ far/* superior to mimedefang IMHO. Check it out,
>>
>>http://mailscanner.info
>>

>Superior in what way(s)?  I see it can do some of the same
>things as mimedefang but can't see anything better - but since
>there isn't a concise feature list, maybe I missed it.  The
>things I like about mimedefang are that sendmail's own
>access and other checks run along with whatever you add
>in mimedefang before you accept at the smtp level so you
>can reject without having to construct a bounce message,
>and that mimedefang runs as a user without access to
>the rest of the mail system, and it runs as a daemon
>so you aren't starting new processes for every message.

Dont get me wrong, I like mimedefang but mailscanner is at the next level.

Having run mimedefang for a few months and now having run mailscanner
for a few months I think that mailscanner is superior in the following ways;

Mailscanner has ONE configuration file that controls its behaviour
spamassasin's behaviour and any virus scanners behaviour. This file is
very very well commented and makes it easy to configure. Mimedefang had
me editing perl scripts and adding subroutines etc etc to get it to
perform in a similar way, not configuration friendly and most of the
time it seems like a quick hack of a system.

Mailscanner works with most well known MTAs, sendmail, postfix, exim etc etc

Mailscanner is being actively development and supported. I think
mimedefang went for several months without an update.

Mailscanner's documentation is better/more professional than mimedefang's.

Mailscanner's messages, notifications and quarantine hadnling is more
professional than mimedefang's.

IMO Some of mimedefangs features are not very friendly, for example, the
'unquarantine'.

And, given that my mailscanner configuration is running in conjunction
with sendmail, I too have the access features of sendmail, greylists and
RBLs !

As far as rejecting spam during the SMTP session is concerned.........
it seems cool at first but I dont know if there is any *real* benefit it
as you have to receive all of the message anyway before determining that
it is spam, so why not just receive it and tag it then ? No need for a
bounce.

Mailscanner runs as a daemon too.

Anyway, dont take my work for it, get a centos 4 box, download the
mailscanner RPMS from the website, get the clamav rpms from dag wieers
site and in 15 minutes you'll have the whole thing working like a charm.
Oh , and that will include make 6 lines or so of changes to the standard
mailscanner config.

Bards.