Re: google removing basic html access, alternatives?

On 20/11/23 18:01, Karen Lewellen wrote:
The Debian list  is currently discussing things like mutt with gmail, and imap as an alternative.
Apparently this bypasses the security problems with gmail in general?

Based on what I recall reading, Gmail requires OAuth2 authorization for IMAP access. I don't know whether it can be turned off. Apparently, Mutt can be configured to use it, if necessary, though it's naturally a little more complicated than user name/password configuration.

Running one's own server definitely has advantages. It's time-consuming to set up, and more complicated now than it used to be, due to the various mail authentication standards (SPF, DKIM, DMARC, ARC), and spam mitigation in general. However, mine has required relatively little maintenance to keep the e-mail functionality working, and it brings all the advantages of total administrative control.