google removing basic html access, alternatives?

Hi folks,
I still have direct access to basic html, at least until this morning.
Google is forcing the issue, a change to standard view, requiring a captcha to ahem confirm it is me.
I understand some folks use mutt, which is likely installed on shellworld.
Before I tamper with my main gmail account though, I am considering a test, I have a second gmail account I have not reached independently for some time.

its set to forward..not solid as I have no access to my actual inbox.
I am told though that mutt may do the trick, but as I only use Linux via shellworld, want a safe test, needing information.
Anyone use  mutt that can lend documentation, or a hand?
Thanks,
Kare