Re: help with vmlinuz

Hi,
thanks so far, but now i know that apt-get does a lilo.conf for me, and even
links my vmlinuz in the root directory to point to the corresponding kernel
in /boot-directory. I tried this with several kernels and still it won't
work.
But recently i noticed that the install-script that is invoked by aptitude
might have a problem with my mbr-package claiming it may not be available on
my system, but when i order him to continue anyway, it says that
installation was successfull anyway, without any errors.
i assured the availability of mbr by explicitly removing it through apt-get
remove mbr, just to reinstall it later with apt-get install mbr. Than he
prompted me for the 1st binary and when i was finished it showed no errors
on the screen.
When i run once lilo to grab what's been written on the screen i can say
that there are no warnings any more since i deleted my vmlinuz-2.2.20.
And since the bf2.4 kernel was the only one prompting me for creation of a
bootdisk i don't know if the kernel 2.4.16.586 whichi selected this time
would possibly boot from floppy.
But one remark i have to add befor concluding.
When i was prompted by boot.bat to select my kernel for first time
installation the one working was the vanilla-kernel selectable by pressing
the 4-key. By selecting the bf2.4-kernel my cd-rom-drive stopped spinning
extrem early, and the usual behavior from spinning up while invoking
loadlin, turning down, and once again spinning up while loading the kernel
into ram didn't occur. The only thing that happened was that the drive
turned up while invoking loadlin, but when i expected the kernel to be
loaded and the cd-rom to be turned up a second time, nothing happened with
the 2.4 kernels.
My question therefore is: are there any informations that the 2.4 kernels
are not supported on amd k62 processors? Are these models somehow
incompatible to intels pentium, but this can not be since windows and even
old ms-dos have no problems with these processor types.
Thanks and regards, Attila.