help with vmlinuz

Hi,
Recently i did update my kernel via aptitude on 2.4.18-686 that was
available on the cd, and it installed everything i think, but when i boot up
again it says uname -r 2.2.20, which i don't understand.
What's my problem? i did launch lilo before shutdown, what else can i do?
i've seen  that in the /boot directory there is something of vmlinuz-2.2.20
and vmlinuz-2.4.18 somehow residing peacefully along but somehow the vmlinuz
in the boot directory just points to the 2.2.20 kernel, allthough i hoped
the aptitude would do everything for me except maybe running lilo, so what
went wrong?
i need this for alsa-modules to be compatible and there is nothing for
alsa-modules-2.2.20 in the aptitude-list under sound, and i think my ess
audiodrive es1869 must be supported in later kernels maybe, because i am
using a notebook with amd k62 processor.
any help would be appreciated.
Thanks and regards, Attila.