Re: Fetchmail?

Guy Abandon. writes:

> This is a new install of Slackware 9, speakup, with cable broadband.
Haven't ever used Slack. Sorry, can't help you with Slack specific
processes.

> 1.  Pine (4.53): despite going through all possible setup/config
> settings, still only uses my login name (bobh) as an email name,
> rather than any of my pop3 mailbox names.
Then you haven't figured out how to specify your Pine settings
correctly. I promise, it manages this kind of thing very well, even
allowing you to have multiple roles that use different "From: " headers
and different signature files.

Keep it simple. Start with the main menu, then setup and then
configuration. In the first several fields, read the help and specify
the values appropriately. You'll need to press <enter>, for example, to
be able to change the values.

Of course, this can be dificult to do if you haven't first told Pine to
use the system cursor. That option,l unfortunately, resides much deeper
in this configuration editor. I'm afraid you probably just won't know
where you are in Pine until you get this part right. Have you done this?
If you press the period on the numeric keypad, is the cursor always in
the lower right hand corner? If so, you haven't got this right. If it
moves around the screen as you use the up/down arrows to move among
various things, then you do have it.

> 2.  Fetchmail:  despite checking all possible cl switches and having
> had advice for lines to put in the .fetchmailrc file (replicating cl
> switches), still cannot make a distinction between login id to the
> pop3 server and mailbox name, which is different.  Since
> Blueyonder.co.uk have aliasing of users mailbox names to the one
> single obscure login id; there needs to be the option of presenting a
> different string when checking for messages, as opposed to that used
> in the login validation process.

OK. So you have two names on this BlueYonder server. How sweet of them.
Still, recognize that fetchmail can be configured to retrieve email for
dozens (or hundreds) of users. So, your conclusion that the login
authentication and mailbox to be fetchmed must always match is simply
not true.

I'm afraid I've never needed to deal with such a thing, though it might
still be helpful to see the actual output.
Have you turned verbose mode on to see where things go awry? Have you
had fetchmail write a log of its communication? These are the standard
strategies for debugging, but you haven't posted any of this.

Notice that there are various mechanisms for authentication in the email
world? Which one is BlueYonder using? Do you know for sure? Use the
verbose mechanism, or a log, to find out. For example, it would be a
good thing if you could connect over ssh as a plugin mechanism to
fetchmail--and this is supported.

Nevertheless, also consider some other options. Since you're always online
with your cable connection to the net, why not just set mail to auto
forward to your Slack machine?

> I don't know how else to put all this.
>
> It's sending me up the wall, it would almost be worth paying
> virgin.net or someone where id and mailbox name are at least the same
> and this is the given assumption of Fetchmail.
>
> GA!

Or just register your own domain name and use either your own Slack
machine or a forwarding service.

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group