Re: Fetchmail?

Guy Abandon. writes:
> From: "Guy Abandon." <text.tools@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I'm fiddling around trying to figure where to put an option so that:-
>
> 1.  sendmail or Pine don't use local login names or local host to form
> email addresses.

Both can give you a different "From:" address. Have you looked in the
Pine configuration screens? And, did you run the sendmail config
program? It should prompt for this very issue.

> 2.  To get fetchmail to collect mail from a pop3 host with a name
> other than that of the given login name or id passed on the command
> line.  Virgin addresses are accessed by the user given email name is
> the id to login to the pop3 server with.  Blueyonder.co.uk works
> entirely differently and so far, haven't managed to receive a thing
> and not managed to get anything out that could be replied to.

I'm not sure what you mean "on the command line?" Do you have a
.fetchmailrc? Here's an example with XXX where sensitive data goes:

set daemon 60
#means go check for mail every 60 seconds.

poll 165.212.49.1
#indicates the server to access. I use the ip because there's
#no reason to also do a dns lookup every 60 seconds.
proto pop3
#protocol to use
user janina
#username for the remote system.
pass XXXXXXXX
#password at the remote system.

Note that "username" needn't be the name of the uid calling fetchmail.

> Other options to put in the .fetchmailrc  file would help if I could
> find reference to them.
>
> GA!
>
> .....     or someone very like me!
>
> Spinning head and not sure any more.