debian install with speakup, was Re: linux distribution for beginners

How did you get debian up and running? Did you install potato and then
upgrade, or did you find a source of a speakup modified woody without the
module problems I have seen. A network install is not an option here
because I am still using dialup. *shudder* Any tips would be appreciated.