linux distribution for beginners

Hi!
I know different people prefer different distributions when it comes to
Linux but what would people recommend for someone who will be completely new
to Linux?
I seem to have many of the main distros in some form either as CDs which
have been burned for me, CDs I have downloaded and burned myself and one box
set for Suse.
I seem to be the person who knows most about Linux in my family and dad
recommends that perhaps I should go for some computer system which has Linux
pre-installed but the downside with a pre-installed setup is that the seller
is not likely to know about the accessability.  I know that Linux Imporium
in the UK who sold me a box of cheap CDs of some distros recommended one
site which is for a store which pre-installs Redhat, Suse or Mandrake Linux
distros and sells them with or without Windows.
Hope someone could give me some advice.