Re: linux distribution for beginners

For someone new to linux I would recommend slackware. I am sure I will
get flamed for it, but imho slackware is easier to learn on. Really the
question of which distro to choose is one of personal taste. Slackware
8.0 and 8.1 and redhat 8.0 include the speakup screan reader by default.
Redhat has more configuration tools which are supposed to make getting
things set up easier, but slackware is good for getting a basic
understanding of what all those tools will be doing.
I wish I could recommend debian, but getting woody (the current debian
version) installed with speakup has been a real challenge for me. This is
just my $.02, now let the flames fly.

On 11/23/02  8:25 AM -0000, Michael Weaver wrote:
> Hi!
> I know different people prefer different distributions when it comes to
> Linux but what would people recommend for someone who will be completely new
> to Linux?
> I seem to have many of the main distros in some form either as CDs which
> have been burned for me, CDs I have downloaded and burned myself and one box
> set for Suse.
> I seem to be the person who knows most about Linux in my family and dad
> recommends that perhaps I should go for some computer system which has Linux
> pre-installed but the downside with a pre-installed setup is that the seller
> is not likely to know about the accessability.  I know that Linux Imporium
> in the UK who sold me a box of cheap CDs of some distros recommended one
> site which is for a store which pre-installs Redhat, Suse or Mandrake Linux
> distros and sells them with or without Windows.
> Hope someone could give me some advice.

Thomas Stivers
e-mail: stivers_t@ev1.net
PGP Public Key ID: 45CBBABD