Re: linux distribution for beginners

I'm probably going to stick my foot in it a bunch because I'm one of those
beginners myself. I'm sure I'll confuse Linux and Unix since I don't know
the difference between them. But since I've been studying the subject I
thought I'd pop off...

IMHO, Osvaldo is far too modest. The importance of his work to people like
me cannot be overstated!

There is a very nice Slackware mini-distribution that has the UMSDOS file
system. I'm a Braille user and installed brlzip (Thanks, Osvaldo!!!). It
took me days to realize that you don't need an empty disk to install it;
just do it in the root of your existing disk. All you need is a little over
100 meg of free disk space (it won't quite fit on a zip disk) plus room for
temporary files. It isn't possible to switch tasks (Alt+Tab) between Linux
and Windows, but at least they're both there without sweating bullets (as I
was) over partitions.

There's a BrlSpeak distribution (also Osvaldo's creation) that uses the same
principles with a synthesizer; brlzip was derived from brlspeak and is I
believe a slightly newer Slackware version. If I'm not mistaken, BrlSpeak
includes both Speakup and brltty. I think only hardware synths are supported
by BrlSpeak.

To switch tasks with Linux and Windows, use CygWin. I think there are other
DOS emulators of Linux. CygWin was slow as molasses under Win98 but pretty
good under XP.

URLs:

www.brlspeak.net (BrlSpeak; the www is necessary)

www.brlspeak.net/brlzip (BrlSpeak with no speech and newer Slackware)

www.cygwin.com (CygWin - run Unix(?) under DOS

I have an awful feeling I should have kept my mouth shut since both Dave and
Osvaldo are here, but they're nice guys...

--

Lee Maschmeyer
lee_maschmeyer@wayne.edu

"Now I've reached the awkward age of man:
Too old for Castoria and too young for Serutan."
     --Homer & Jethro