Re: linux distribution for beginners

At 08:25 AM 11/23/2002 +0000, Michael Weaver wrote:
Hi!
I know different people prefer different distributions when it comes to
Linux but what would people recommend for someone who will be completely new
to Linux?
There are constant arguments among linux nerds over which distro is really the easiest to use.

If you read the linux newsgroups on Usenet, I think you'll see that the generally accepted answer to this question is that you should go with whatever distro you can get the best support for. If you know somebody who uses Red Hat, go with that.

I seem to be the person who knows most about Linux in my family and dad
recommends that perhaps I should go for some computer system which has Linux
pre-installed but the downside with a pre-installed setup is that the seller
is not likely to know about the accessability.
It seems to me that another big drawback would be that you wouldn't know about the details of the installation. You wouldn't know where stuff is and why it was installed a particular way and that might make it harder to use down the road.

For example, it seems to me that it would be really hard to upgrade to the next version of linux if you didn't install linux in the first place

Hope someone could give me some advice.
I've caused some controversy on this list in the past by stating my opinion on this but I think there's no getting around the steep learning curve with linux. My opinion is that you should be prepared to put a considerable amount of work into learning how to use linux. You have to have a "do it yourself" attitude. You have to be willing to study the documentation and then give it a try. And when it doesn't work, study the documentation some more and try something else.

My opinion is that if you don't start out with that attitude, you're doomed to failure.