Re: a little confused: festival and emacspeak

I have SUSE 7.3, emacspeak, and ViaVoice working on a Pentium 166 laptop. I picked the laptop up at the U of Wisconsin used computer store for $200. But if a fire broke out in my home, after I got everybody out, I think the one thing I'd grab is my laptop.

I had a lot of trouble getting linux installed but very little trouble getting ViaVoice and emacspeak working. Red Hat 7.3 wouldn't recognize my PCMCIA bus. SUSE wouldn't recognize the built in sound card. I can understand the PCMCIA problem. My laptop uses an obsolete standard. But the sound card supposedly is Sound Blaster compatable. It was easy to fix because I just told it I had a Sound Blaster card and it worked. Well, I spent a whole day getting the parameters right but I had wasted about a week trying to get Red Hat to recognize the PCMCIA bus. So it was comperably easy.

So it can be done. My big worry is that all my linux machines are way under powered by today's standards. I was figuring I'd be continuing to run linux in character mode for a long time. But apparently, ViaVoice doesn't always work with more recent distros.