red hat system almost talking: question related to comments

This situation you describe isn't exactly making sense to me. But, I would
offer the following suggestions:

There should be no guessing game about whether you boot with appropriate
settings or not. Take care of that:

1.)	Get rid of the default /boot/message file. Of course, if you make
the remaining changes below, it won't matter, but do it anyway. Replace it
with some simple text like "Welcome to Cheryl's Linux Computer" it doesn't
matter -- just get rid of the graphic that Redhat puts up by default. PS:
It's smart to get some ^7 chars in there to ring your bell, as it were;

2.)	Edit lilo.conf to start linux with your speech synth talking if
you haven't done this already;

3.)	Edit /etc/inittab to make runlevel 3 your default runlevel. Look
for a line that says:

id:5:initdefault:

and change it to read:

id:3:initdefault:

As for what pam is, it stands for pluggable authentication modules. You
can usually answer such questions for yourself, though, by using the man
pages -- man, as in manual. So, you could type:

man pam

Now, a couple of other key basics:

Let me suggest the following man command:

man bash

Also, let me point you to /usr/doc where there's all kind of
documentation. Pay particular attention to the HOWTO directory there.
That's your gold mine. Inside there, there are a couple of HOWTOs
particularly for beginners. Again, I recommend the bash HOWTO, and
probably the HOWTO for Windows and DOS users.

Have you gotten to mail and web browsing? Most folks start out, and some
never leave, pine and lynx for these, respectively. In each, be sure to
configure them to track the cursor. It'll make you a lot happier.

 On
Sat, 8 Sep 2001, Cheryl Homiak wrote:

> Your description brings up a question I have.  A few times I have booted
> and ended up at something for the login tha said "Pam unix" and something
> about opening a session.  At this point I can't read the screen or seem to
> do anything with my keyboard and my keyboard doesn't echo, but I get
> announcements occasionally about chron stipping for mail or something like
> that.  One time when this happened I know it was because i accidentally
> had X booting up at start, but this has happened once or twice without me
> having any idea how I got there.  What is a "pam unix session" and how
> does one end up there without planning it?
>
> Cheryl

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

Email: janina@afb.net		Phone: (202) 408-8175

Chair, Accessibility SIG
Open Electronic Book Forum (OEBF)
http://www.openebook.org

Surpassing Gutenberg, at http://www.afb.org/ebook.asp

http://www.afb.org/mlkweb.asp

Learn how to make accessible software at
http://www.afb.org/accessapp.asp