red hat system almost talking: question related to comments

Excuse me, but I don't understand the nature of this reply.  First of all,
I'm not using Redhat; I'm using debian.  Secondly, I know perfectly well
what pam is, what bash is, what man pages are, and how to read howtos, and
I do all these things.  I am sure, however, that your pointers would be
helpful to somebody who did not know these things and use these tools.  I
was simply asking a question about an isolated occurrence of ending up at
some kind of "pam unix session".  I know Janina's advice is well-meant,
but while my question may have been an indication of ignorance of a
particular circumstance, it wasn't indicative ot ignorance of tools and
documentation or failure to use them.

Cheryl