red hat system almost talking: question related to comments

Sounds to me as though you were somewhere where logs where being
spewed out. Do you have your logs redirected to a tty? In such case
you might just have ended up on that VC.

Also, if you're using Debian unstable, there's been times where the
cron package was misconfigured and it was outputting to STDERR instead
of logging properly, if it happened just once it might have been
because of that.