red hat system almost talking: question related to comments

Your description brings up a question I have.  A few times I have booted
and ended up at something for the login tha said "Pam unix" and something
about opening a session.  At this point I can't read the screen or seem to
do anything with my keyboard and my keyboard doesn't echo, but I get
announcements occasionally about chron stipping for mail or something like
that.  One time when this happened I know it was because i accidentally
had X booting up at start, but this has happened once or twice without me
having any idea how I got there.  What is a "pam unix session" and how
does one end up there without planning it?

Cheryl