red hat system almost talking

When I boot now, I hear lilo, then I hear boot, then I hear loading linux,
then I hear the at sign, and all the rest is silence.  If I hit ackspace I
don't hear the beep so this thing is still coming up in gnome mode.  I
managed to log in using gnome and get such changes I have managed using
exec >/dev/ttyS0 2>&1 on a line by itself.
I got Bill's speakup.kmap.gz file stored and loaded into
/etc/sysconfig/keyboard too.  How do I disable gnome permanently so it
doesn't break the log in anymore?

Jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>