red hat system almost talking

You should be able to get back to a virtual console by hitting
ctrl-alt-f1.  You may be able to disable Gnome by telling init to start
using a different runlevel.  You should have a line in /etc/inittab like
id:2:initdefault
where the 2 indicates to start with runlevel 2.  The runlevel is often
used to determine which initialization scripts should be run, and x may
not be started with a lower runlevel.  I am not sure how RedHat works,
though, so someone can correct me...

--Michael Gorse / ICQ:22583968 / http://mgorse.home.dhs.org