Alt= In Images

Responding to Ray.

> Carl, one other question, will you share your address with me?
> I just want to check it out for curiosity.

I assume you mean my web site?
http://www.eklhad.net
It's very eclectic.
It has my speech adapter for Linux, and several text based programs,
but it also includes
several articles on the adoption process,
articles on how foods and food additives can effect health,
Star Trek trivia,
my trip through Botswana Africa,
polyomino puzzles,
and more.

> I don't use alt tags in my web pages.

I agree with Andor.
If the image is just for pretty, don't bother.
But if it's a clickable icon, a link or submit button,
put an alt= description in.
If you don't, my browser is a little smarter than lynx.
It looks at the file name you are linking to and shows me the tail of that.
If an image links to this.that.com/foo/bar/shopping.html,
then I'll read  {shopping}
I won't even know it was an image,
but I'll realize there is a link there, and I have a good idea what it's for.
Course this strategy doesn't always help.
Sometimes the linked file ends in index.html,
and then all I get is   {index}
Maybe in this case I should back up and present the directory name??
Well it wouldn't be necessary if everyone used alt= on linking images.

Thanks for taking the time to make your site accessible to all.
We do appreciate it.
Karl