Alt= In Images

Not putting alt tags on things that are actually important to conveying the
message is a very bad thing (Trademark, patent pending). It means people
don't know what is there. Some browsers will try to guess, but it is a pretty
third-rate solution when the author could often have done a first-rate job.

Where the image is not doing anything except taking space, I would advise
people to put alt="". This is becuase browsers aren't sure whether they need
to try and repair images or not based on any good criteria - either they will
add hints for all images, or just images that are used for links (problem if
there is an image that conveys information but isn't a link), or will not try
to do anything. So if you do this well-made but basic browsers won't put
anything like "foo.gif" or "none" all over the page where it is unnecessary.

(Thanks for taking time to make stuff accessible - it is important to lots of
people who might not seem to need it as well as people who do)

cheers

Charles McCN

On Sat, 8 Sep 2001, Karl Dahlke wrote:

  > I don't use alt tags in my web pages.

  I agree with Andor.
  If the image is just for pretty, don't bother.
  But if it's a clickable icon, a link or submit button,
  put an alt= description in.
  If you don't, my browser is a little smarter than lynx.
  It looks at the file name you are linking to and shows me the tail of that.
  If an image links to this.that.com/foo/bar/shopping.html,
  then I'll read  {shopping}
  I won't even know it was an image,
  but I'll realize there is a link there, and I have a good idea what it's for.
  Course this strategy doesn't always help.
  Sometimes the linked file ends in index.html,
  and then all I get is   {index}
  Maybe in this case I should back up and present the directory name??
  Well it wouldn't be necessary if everyone used alt= on linking images.

  Thanks for taking the time to make your site accessible to all.
  We do appreciate it.
  Karl