Thanks for the null-modem cable help!

>> *  The kernel included on the latest versions of the Red Hat
>> and Debian boot and install disks *do not* support serial
>> console.

>I believe this is probably in error.  In a post yesterday I
>quoted a RedHat installation manual section that specifically
>says that it is supported, and I have also proved from the kernel
>config files that it is compiled into the 2.2.19 _installation_
>kernels, as well as the others.  One has only to run the
>following command to find out if it is also suppported in the
>2.4 kernels:
     *snip*

My apologies L.C., you are correct.  I didn't do enough homework and
testing before coming to a conclusion... thank you for having the patience
to gently point out the error in my ways. :) Anyway, at your suggestion I
tried a few more combinations of commands at the boot: prompt on the RH
machine, I did in fact manage to get console to output to HyperTerminal on
my Win 2000 box.

The command that actually worked was:

linux text console=ttyS0

Thus, my original statement should be amended to:

* The kernel included on the latest versions of the Red Hat boot disks
*does* support serial console; however you must be careful to use the
appropriate syntax.

Of course, now that I have console output showing up in my HyperTerminal
window, I have a new problem.  As Kerry pointed out yesterday,
Hyperterminal doesn't work that well with Jaws, and I can't navigate at all
with arrow keys. For some reason, only the Tab and Return keys actually
seem to do anything in Hyperterminal, which makes it rather difficult to
make any selections. So, I decided to download and try CRT 3.0. It works
just fine and now I can navigate with the arrow keys (as well as Tab and
Return), but I'm still working on the speech problem.

Can anyone offer any advice on a VT100 emulator that works well with either
JAWS or some other Win screen reader?

Thanks so much,

-jen