Thanks for the null-modem cable help!

Jennifer,

With ref. to your query about terminal emulators and JAWS, I've been really
surprised since finally ditching my old DOS terminal emulator environment,
just how difficult it is to get a decent Windows environment to replace it.
I'm using a braille display as well as speech with JFW3.7, and the best
results I've got so far are with Reflection 7.0 (from WRQ Inc.).  There is a
JAWS Config File which seems to improve things a fair amount, which was
written to improve useability with several more-or-less generic emulators.
Let me know if you'd like a copy, though mine may be out of date.  It may be
worth looking at the Freedom Scientific web page, or on the JAWS lists.

Also the standard Windows Telnet command works quite well.  I've tried it
using just speech, and you need to regularly check your current line using
insert+2, as it doesn't seem to speak it when its displayed on the terminal.

Reflection has some useful features (admittedly shared by many terminal
emulators) such as the ability to set your options so that a mouse click can
be used to route the system cursor.  This alows JAWS to move the system cursor
under braille-routing, or route-PC-to-JAWS functionality.

Your problem with Hyper-terminal not being able to use arrow keys, may depend
on what environment you're in.  E.g. if you're at the command line and the
arrow key is passed straight through to the operating system to try to move
the system cursor, this won't work as the system cursor can't be moved in this
environment.  However, you may find that if you're in an editor such as VI,
you'd be able to move the cursor with the arrow keys.  Also, you could get
around this problem by switching to JAWS cursor to review what's going on.

I'd be interested to know more about the emulator you mentioned CRT? as I
haven't heard of this one, and it may be better/cheaper than the one I'm
using.  Where did you download it?

Regards,

Tim Pennick