Thanks for the null-modem cable help!

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Jennifer E Jobst wrote:

> Of course, now that I have console output showing up in my
> HyperTerminal window, I have a new problem.  As Kerry pointed
> out yesterday, Hyperterminal doesn't work that well with Jaws,
> and I can't navigate at all with arrow keys. For some reason,
> only the Tab and Return keys actually seem to do anything in
> Hyperterminal, which makes it rather difficult to make any
> selections. So, I decided to download and try CRT 3.0. It works

Can Hyperterminal be set to emulate many different types of
terminals, like Kermit can?  Could it be, perhaps, that the
current or default terminal emulation is inconsistent with what
the installer expects?  The terminal on a normal monitor console
is TERM=linux, which is kind of an enhanced color vt100 or vt2xx
I suppose.  The DEC vtxxx terminal line included even some vt500
series terminals that could use a normal color monitor and
keyboard, if I remember right, and recent kermit versions could
emulate these.  I don't know if kermit works with dos screen
readers, though.  You'd want to use a terminal type that is a
color superset of the industry standard vt100 or ansi types, for
maximum compatibility, unless you can dig some way out of the
installer manuals to set TERM=xxxxx (one could hack the install
disk, too, but that is not for the average user).  Ansi was based
on vt100, with many enhancements, but most real world ansi
emulations are very incomplete, even to the point of being
kind of stupid, regardless of the standard.  To see what I mean,
do:
grep -2i ansi /etc/termcap
and you will see a slew of ansi variants, many labeled as poor,
but the commentary may give you clues as to what terminal
emulators to look for.

Hope this helps, LCR

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@onewest.net.invalid

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get incompatibility and
instability instead.  This is award winning "innovation".  Find
out how MS holds your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html