Thanks for the null-modem cable help!

Usually the type of terminal problems you describe, when using
curses library based programs (and the text install is curses
based), come from not specifying a matching terminal type, since
different terminal types often use radically different character
sequences to control cursor placement, color, etc.  This is
normally done by putting a TERM=xxxx directive in the environment
of the program, so that the program can obtain the proper escape
sequences from a termcap or terminfo database of terminal types.

The install program is going to assume, probably, that
TERM=linux, which is an enhanced color superset of vt100,
following ansi standards, that is used on the normal SVGA monitor
consoles.

So you would solve this problem by using an advanced ansi
compliant color terminal emulation, such as those in the DEC
vt500 series.  Kermit has some of these, but I don't know how
well it works with synths.

A possibly easier alternative might be to find a way to tell the
install program what kind of terminal you are using (or
emulating).  Lilo will pass environmental variables specified on
the boot command line on to the bootup scripts, and I am guessing
the other boot loaders will too.  The install script may very
well get the same environment.  So one could also try adding:

TERM=vt100

or a similar terminal type, depending in your terminal emulation,
to the append line, too, just as you did with the console=ttyS0,
making sure that the install disk has that terminal type in it's
terminal database (which is likely to be reduced to just a few,
to fit on the install disk, so one might need to be added).

If someone can make this work, with a convenient windows or DOS
terminal emulation, this scheme should be added to the HOWTOs and
FAQs: I therefore suggest that any replies to this should be done
in a fairly finished question-answer format, for the maintainers.

An even better solution would be a finished shell script
(possibly using cygwin), or other program that could
automatically make necessary modifications to the install disk,
thus smoothing the path for the non-technical newbie, who could
then simply download the modification package and run it against
a standard install disk, just answering a few questions, and
maybe even ending up with an automated kickstart install.

LCR

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@onewest.net.invalid

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get incompatibility and
instability instead.  This is award winning "innovation".  Find
out how MS holds your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html