Thanks for the null-modem cable help!

Wow, that'd be odd to not support this, but kickstart install can work on
servers too, but something must send the proper command to the boot loader
when the disk boots, or does the floppy autodetect serial if I decide to
not hook a keyboard to a machine I might run linux on? It makes no sense to
hook extra stuff up, as then I need another synthesizer too, unless there's
a a switch for isa devices from one machine to the other so when I want, I
hit a switch, and the keyboard and double talk go on the other machine.
At 04:36 AM 10/17/01 -0600, you wrote:
>On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, Jennifer E Jobst wrote:
>
>> *  The kernel included on the latest versions of the Red Hat
>> and Debian boot and install disks *do not* support serial
>> console.
>
>I believe this is probably in error.  In a post yesterday I
>quoted a RedHat installation manual section that specifically
>says that it is supported, and I have also proved from the kernel
>config files that it is compiled into the 2.2.19 _installation_
>kernels, as well as the others.  One has only to run the
>following command to find out if it is also suppported in the
>2.4 kernels:
>
>grep -i 'console.*y'
/usr/src/linux-2.4.2/configs/kernel-2.4.2-i386-BOOT.config