Thanks for the null-modem cable help!

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, L. C. Robinson wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, Jennifer E Jobst wrote:
>
> > *  The kernel included on the latest versions of the Red Hat
> > and Debian boot and install disks *do not* support serial
> > console.
>
> I believe this is probably in error.  In a post yesterday I
> quoted a RedHat installation manual section that specifically
> says that it is supported, and I have also proved from the kernel
> config files that it is compiled into the 2.2.19 _installation_
> kernels, as well as the others.  One has only to run the
> following command to find out if it is also suppported in the
> 2.4 kernels:
>
> grep -i 'console.*y' /usr/src/linux-2.4.2/configs/kernel-2.4.2-i386-BOOT.config

LC is correct, and Jennifer is wrong as re the latest Redhat which is
7/.2. Here is the output of:

grep SERIAL_CONSOLE *

which I executed in /usr/src/linux-2.4/configs:

kernel-2.4.7-athlon-smp.config:CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE=y
kernel-2.4.7-athlon.config:CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE=y
kernel-2.4.7-i386-BOOT.config:CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE=y
kernel-2.4.7-i386-smp.config:CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE=y
kernel-2.4.7-i386.config:CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE=y
kernel-2.4.7-i586-smp.config:CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE=y
kernel-2.4.7-i586.config:CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE=y
kernel-2.4.7-i686-debug.config:CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE=y
kernel-2.4.7-i686-enterprise.config:CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE=y
kernel-2.4.7-i686-smp.config:CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE=y
kernel-2.4.7-i686.config:CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE=y

--

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development

Email: janina@afb.net		Phone: (202) 408-8175

Chair, Accessibility SIG
Open Electronic Book Forum (OEBF)
http://www.openebook.org

Surpassing Gutenberg, at http://www.afb.org/ebook.asp

http://www.afb.org/mlkweb.asp

Learn how to make accessible software at
http://www.afb.org/accessapp.asp