Redhat Serial Installation (Was Re: FreeBSD Access (WasRe: ultrasonix ) )

On Mon, 15 Oct 2001, Janina Sajka wrote:

> It's possible that the 'linux' command is the wrong element.
> Check a directory listing to see what the kernel's name
> actually is. It's likely to be vmlinuz, for example.

RedHat does indeed install a symlink called /boot/vmlinuz to the
actual installed kernel image, but that doesn't matter if the
lilo.conf file has a line that says "label=linux".  I always add
a line that says "alias=L" too, for convenience.  The Red Hat
installation manual says to use "linux", and that's right unless
you relabel it yourself in /etc/lilo.conf.  You also need to add
the "text" parameter, as indicated in the manual section I quoted
in the other message I sent today.  And don't forget to use a
capital "S" in the port name, as another poster pointed out.

BTW, lilo will list the kernel labels at the boot prompt, if you
press tab.  Also, the installation disks use syslinux, instead
of lilo, but similar rules apply for all the different boot
loaders, where boot parameters are concerned.

>  On Mon, 15 Oct 2001, Tim Pennick wrote:
>

> > While we're on the subject of serial installations, has
> > anyone managed to do this with Red Hat?  I've read th
> > installation stuff, part of which says that you can just type
> > 'linux console=/dev/ttys0' at the boot prompt, but I didn't

L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@onewest.net.invalid

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get incompatibility and
instability instead.  This is award winning "innovation".  Find
out how MS holds your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html