finicky installs was RE: Installing RH from Windows over a null modem

Jennifer E Jobst <jobst@us.ibm.com> writes:

> and on the Linux box's monitor, I can see the following messages:
> Uncompressing Linux... OK, booting the kernel.
> Then the Linux machine hangs.  None of the above message actually appear in
> the HyperTerminal window on my Windows box.

My apologies to the list; the below isn't necessarily Blinux-specific.

Okay, I was involved in a similar situation.  I was installing Slackware on
my AMD Athlon box, with a Speakup boot disk.  The system's monitor displayed
nearly the same message your box did, hanging after "booting the kernel".
This boot disk simply wouldn't work.  And it should have!
It wasn't probing for SCSI hardware or doing anything which might cause
a system hang.

I eventually decided that the boot disk must have been compiled specifically
for the Pentium architecture.  I didn't have the .config used in it's
compilation.  Myself and a fellow list member discussed the problem, and concluded
that this must be the culprit.

You may have a serial console problem; I know little about this subject.
But you may also have an incompatible install disk.
You also mentioned that you have RH installed on another partition of this
machine. But you didn't mention whether or not this particular floppy was used.

So, the pertinent questions...  How was your install disk compiled?  Might
this be your problem as well?
And, did you use this particular install disk for your previous RH install?