Installing RH from Windows over a null modem

More to the point, Red Hat has to support lots of different
machines, including headless servers, so they compile just about
everything imaginable into the kernel and modules package,
including, of course, console redirection, and they document that
in their manuals.  If you look at their kernel config files,
which get installed as
/usr/src/linux-2.*/configs/kernel-2*86.config, you will find a
line that says:

CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE=y

Or in other words, unless you compile your own kernel, this
should be a non-issue -- console redirection should always work,
and new users should never have to worry about this, and should
not be confused this way.

Just as an interesting aside, since another thread discussed the
fact that console redirection is routine for all sorts of Unixen;
if you look at /usr/doc/kernel-doc-2.2.19/serial-console.txt, you
will find that there are all sorts of ways to redirect your
console output.  You can, for instance, just pull your video card
out of the machine, and it will automatically go to the first
serial port; no boot line redirection is necessary in this case.
There are also instructions there as to how to get lilo to work
through the serial port.

LCR

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@onewest.net.invalid

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get incompatibility and
instability instead.  This is award winning "innovation".  Find
out how MS holds your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html