speakup disks for rh 7.1

I'm confused. Your message speaks of booting from CD. Do you mean the
Redhat installation CDR? This should boot to put you into the installation
script or perhaps to rescue mode, but not for ordinary every day linux
access.

Yes, the installation CDR does contain a graphical install option.

If you are speaking of this CDR, the correct incantation is:

text speakup_synth=dtlk

This is for the internal Doubletalk, right? This is an iso card, not the
Litetalk which attaches a serial port. That designator is ltlk and
defaults to ttyS0.

I am unaware that speakup would work with cygwin. I would count on a good
DOS screen reader for cygwin.