brltty and simultaneous grade 2 translation

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, John J. Boyer wrote:

> Dave,
> This all sounds fine to me. Now about the format of the translation table.
> Since we want to accomodate many languages, I think it would be best to put
> each rule on a line by itself and to use a simple space between the parts of
> the rule. As I see it, each rule would consist of a source string, a space,
> the destination string, space, and a number that specifies whether the
> source string is a whole word, should be translated only if it is in the
> middle of a word, etc. If either the source or destination string includes a
> space, we can arrange for an escape sequence. This would be necessary no
> matter what separation character we used.

First, let me tell you that English braille has a _much_ simpler ruleset
when it comes to abreviate it than say French.  In French the rules are much
more convoluted and complex than a simple pattern replacement.

Therefore I suggest having a look at already existing braille
conversion packages and see if those can be used instead of duplicating
work.  For one I think nfbtrans might do the job and could be GPL already.

Nicolas