brltty and simultaneous grade 2 translation

Nicolas,
I see your point about specifying actual dot patterns. Perhaps the
translation table could be set up to allow both dot patterns and ASCII.
I'll try to find the French Braille code. It looks like a good test case.
It turns out that the format of the translation tables in nfbtrans is
similar to the one we have been discussing: number (pattern matching
method), source string, replacement string. However, nfbtrans appears to be
the product of many hands, with bits and pieces added from time. It is also
very inefficiently coded, with redundant if statements. Considering my
experience in program maintenance and in writing translators for other
purposes, I think it would probably be less time-consuming to just start
from scratch. Though I wouldn't actually be starting from scratch, because I
already have a translating routine that might be modifiable.
John

Computers to Help People, Inc.
http://www.chpi.org
825 East Johnson; Madison, WI 53703