brltty and simultaneous grade 2 translation

[quoted lines by John J. Boyer on November 26, 2001, at 14:12]

>Since we want to accomodate many languages, I think it would be best to put
>each rule on a line by itself and to use a simple space between the parts of
>the rule.

I think tabs will also need to be supported since some editors insert them in
spite of what their users might happen to prefer. :-)

Any number (one or more) of tabs and spaces should be permitted between each
part. Blank lines should be skipped. Comments should be supported, and, to be
as familiar as possible to Unix users, the # character should initiate a
comment.

>As I see it, each rule would consist of a source string, a space,
>the destination string, space, and a number that specifies whether the
>source string is a whole word, should be translated only if it is in the
>middle of a word, etc.

This part I'll have to defer to the experts in the field.

>If either the source or destination string includes a
>space, we can arrange for an escape sequence. This would be necessary no
>matter what separation character we used.

Agreed. Unix people have a love/hate relationship with the backslash, so it
might as well be used.

EMail: dave@mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | if you're concerned about Hell.