Re: Opensource Driver for hpt372 chipset

On Sun, 10 Nov 2002, Murty Rompalli wrote:

> As far as I know, neither High Point nor Promise would like to make the
> driver 100% opensource...You dont expect them to disappoint all those
> Windows only people who think its a hardware raid and some people even
> think its SCSI disk computer with hardware raid for a low price, do you?

I dont think these windows users would take a look at source code or even
understand it enough to get the idea. And those who do understand it do
know whats going on, im sure.

Perhaps they dont take linux very serious.

In places, where linux is used professionally, no one would use ide raid.
In places where ide raid is used, only a few people use linux.
Thats what they think, i guess.

And:

If they would give out the source code of a good ataraid driver, how long
would it take to port it to standard onboard ide-controllers? :-)

Viele Grüsse,
Thorsten

--
Thorsten Jungblut
Universität Koblenz, Fachbereich Informatik