Re: [users@httpd] Reverse Proxying of multipart messages

> > When I have this server behind a proxy server (using mod_proxy in
> > apache 1.3 or 2.0), the output comes out in big chunks.
>
> Let me guess: for values of "big" in the region of 8Kb?

You got it ... great guess ;)

> > I've tried setting ProxyIOBufferSize and ProxyReceiveBufferSize to
>
> Won't help.  The proxy is designed to run efficiently.  The delays you are
> introducing are a bad mismatch with HTTP, so they'll only work with HTTP
> under benign "too simple to fail" conditions.  Proxy simply doesn't meet that,
> at least until your chunk size rises sufficiently above apache's default heap
> bucket size (8K) that buffering your data won't dominate.
>
> > Ideally mod_proxy would recognise the message as multipart and treat
> > it accordingly, but if it just transmitted the data a byte at a time
> > that would also work for me.
>
> It could be made to do either of those with a suitable module to parse your
> contents.  But in HTTP terms - which is all mod_proxy speaks out-of-the-box,
> it is NOT multipart.  It's a *single* HTTP response, whose *contents* (which
> the proxy won't unpack) happens to be MIMEd.
>
> Kind-of like expecting the proxy to treat every entry in a .tar or .zip file
> as separate.  Lots of work, nothing to gain.  The whole point of tarring or
> zipping your files is to shift them efficiently, and that's what proxy does.

Very many thanks for the detailed response.  I understand things a lot
better now.

What I am trying to do is to serve an HTML page which is dynamically
updated via a multipart xmlhttp message.  I get javascript permission
errors if the server I try to connect to isn't the one that the
original HTML was retrieved from.  And seeing as I'm using reverse
proxying to load balance, it seems therefore that I have to go through
the proxy.

I have got this same sort of thing working with a java applet instead
of xmlhttp, as this does not seem to be bound by the same
restrictions.

Any ideas for the best way round this?

Thanks

Michael Smith