Re: [users@httpd] Reverse Proxying of multipart messages

On Friday 04 March 2005 12:06, Michael Smith wrote:

> I'm trying to set up reverse proxying to present a multipart document
> successfully to the user.

That's not actually your problem.  What you're trying to do that isn't working
well is to introduce delays, under your own control, into an HTTP response.

> When I connect to this server directly, the output appears a bit at a time.
>
> When I have this server behind a proxy server (using mod_proxy in
> apache 1.3 or 2.0), the output comes out in big chunks.

Let me guess: for values of "big" in the region of 8Kb?

> I've tried setting ProxyIOBufferSize and ProxyReceiveBufferSize to

Won't help.  The proxy is designed to run efficiently.  The delays you are
introducing are a bad mismatch with HTTP, so they'll only work with HTTP
under benign "too simple to fail" conditions.  Proxy simply doesn't meet that,
at least until your chunk size rises sufficiently above apache's default heap
bucket size (8K) that buffering your data won't dominate.

> Ideally mod_proxy would recognise the message as multipart and treat
> it accordingly, but if it just transmitted the data a byte at a time
> that would also work for me.

It could be made to do either of those with a suitable module to parse your
contents.  But in HTTP terms - which is all mod_proxy speaks out-of-the-box,
it is NOT multipart.  It's a *single* HTTP response, whose *contents* (which
the proxy won't unpack) happens to be MIMEd.

Kind-of like expecting the proxy to treat every entry in a .tar or .zip file
as separate.  Lots of work, nothing to gain.  The whole point of tarring or
zipping your files is to shift them efficiently, and that's what proxy does.

--
Nick Kew