[users@httpd] Reverse Proxying of multipart messages

Hi there,

I'm trying to set up reverse proxying to present a multipart document
successfully to the user.

For example, I have the following simple CGI script:

--
#!/usr/local/bin/perl

$| = 1;
$lines=20;
use CGI qw/:push -nph/;
print multipart_init(-boundary=>'----here we go!');
         foreach (0 .. $lines) {
             print multipart_start(-type=>'text/plain'),
                   "The current time is ",scalar(localtime),"\n";
             if ($_ < $lines) {
                     print multipart_end;
             } else {
                     print multipart_final;
             }
             sleep(1);
        }
--

When I connect to this server directly, the output appears a bit at a time.

When I have this server behind a proxy server (using mod_proxy in
apache 1.3 or 2.0), the output comes out in big chunks.

I've tried setting ProxyIOBufferSize and ProxyReceiveBufferSize to
small values in the hope that I can get the reverse proxy server to
output a character at a time instead of holding on to it and giving
the output in larger sizes.   However this didn't have any obvious
impact.

Ideally mod_proxy would recognise the message as multipart and treat
it accordingly, but if it just transmitted the data a byte at a time
that would also work for me.

Anyone any ideas on whether this should work, or how to make it work,
or what development would need to be done?

Thank you

Michael Smith