RE: [users@httpd] web server on LAN

Works like a charm.  Many thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: 1jan [mailto:1jan@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, March 05, 2005 10:24 PM
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] web server on LAN

The problem is appearantly in the ip-address: 127.0.0.1 or "localhost" is
the loopback address.
It means "this computer" and it means "this computer" on every computer...

So find out the real ip-addresses of the machines on your lan (type
"ipconfig" in a dos box on your win2k). Probably the addresses will be
something like 10.x.x.x, 172.[16-31].x.x or 192.168.x.x. Those ranges are
not in use on the global internet, they are reserved to use on a lan.

But there is more: typing something like http://172.18.27.64/ in your
browser all the time isn't really appealing, is it? And the number will
change over time.
If your lan is connected to the internet using a broadband router, there is
probably a tiny DNS-server running in that router. Now change the
windows-assigned hostname of your intranet-webhost into something decent
(property sheet of "this computer" on win2k). The DNS server in your
broadband router will take care of the rest (that is: if DHCP is enabled,
which usually is the case).

Try changing the hostname of your server into "www" and reboot, go to
another machine on the lan and type http://www/ (or even just "www") into a
browser. If this works there's no need to find out the ip-addresses first.

best regards -- Jan