[Yum] Re: yum 2.2 (or 3?), FC3, coexistence with "old" yum (was: yum 2.1.8)

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Matthias Saou wrote:

> Axel Thimm wrote :
>
> > Anyway, changing a vital component like the metadata format of any
> > repo will require a transition phase, unless you consider only future
> > to come repos to use the new metadata format, where you don't need to
> > care about backwards compatibility. If you don't hint to a solution,
> > you will find that the repos will invent wild renaming schemes that
> > will make you far more unhappier than the current discussion.
>
> Hmm, "changing the metadata format", no, "adding the new metadata format"
> is what should happen. All of ayo.freshrpms.net works with apt, yum 2.0.x
> and also has the new metadata ever since createrepo 0.3.something came out.
> The transition is as smooth as it can be since the same URLs work
> transparently with yum 2.0.x and 2.1.x... I really don't see how easier it
> can get? Could you please explain a bit more in details in case I'm missing
> something?

Well, I maintain serveral of my own internal and mirroring
repositories and this change caught me terribly offguard. I second
the idea (although it won't do any good, but whatever) that this
should be called yum3 or something. It's a major change. In
particular, it doesn't support old yum-arch created repositories
anymore. This requires additional server side work -- not always
trivial.

freshmeat is quick to update, this is good, but unfortunatly the
rest of the repos out there might not be so quick.

Version numbers may be arbitrary, but there is a general consensus
that bumping the major number means something "significant"
happened. No supporting yum-arch made repositories is quite
significant.

Atleast a repository can be yum2 and yum3 compatible at the same
time. I have boat loads of yum2 machines in house that I never want
to have to install additional software (read: yum3) except for the
security updates I have yum doing via cron now.

--
// scopira.org | ninjacoder.com //